جۆری توێژینهوه: Original Article
Ministry of Education
Man’s internal self-conflict is something of great interest among philosophers, playwrights, and poets. It is an everlasting and universal issue of human psychological discordances which continuously draws the poets’ attention. For this reason, the present research tends to compare self-conflict in two selected poems; “The City of My Heart” by the Kurdish poet Seid Kamily Emamy (1903-1989) and “The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock” by T. S. Eliot (1888-1965). In the above-mentioned poems, the poets shed light on man’s indecision from two different perspectives, but still, there are some mutual similarities between them. The central conflicts of these poems are encapsulated in the figures of their apparent heroes.
The study consists of three sections. The first section is an introduction. Then the second section attempts to give an account of self-conflict in “The City of My Heart” by Seid Kamily Emamy. Following that, the third section explores self-conflict in “The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock” by T. S. Eliot. Finally, there is a conclusion to the study.
- Badenhausen, Richard. T.S. Eliot and the Art of Collaboration. Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- Beasley, Rebecca. Theorists of Modernist Poetry: T.S. Eliot, T.E. Hulme, Ezra Pound. Routledge, 2007.
- Bergonzi, Bernard. T.S. Eliot . 2nd ed., Macmillan, 1978.
- Chinitz, David E. A Companion to T.S. Eliot. Wiley-Blackwell, 2014.
- Cooper, John Xiros. The Cambridge Introduction to T.S. Eliot. Cambridge Univ. Press, 2006.
- Emamy, Kamily. The City of My Heart. Anna: Tehran, 2013. [The poem is translated from Kurdish by the researcher].
- Jain, Manju. T. S. Eliot: Selected Poems. Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Khaznzdar, Marif. History of Kurdish Literature. Vol. 6. Erbil: Aras, 2010. [The extracts are translated from Kurdish by the researcher].
- Manfield, Philip. Split Self/ split object: Understanging and Treating Boarderline, Narcissistic, and Schizoid Disorder. Jason Aronson ING, 1991.
- Milton, Jane, et al. A Short Introduction to Psychoanalysis. London: SAGE Publications Ltd, 2004.
- Murphy, Russell Elliott. Critical Companion to T.S. Eliot: a Literary Reference to His Life and Work. Facts On File, 2007.
- Novykh, Anastasia. AllatRa. Allatra LLC, 2017. <allatRa>.
- Peck, John, and Martin Coyle. A Brief History of English Literature. Pal Grave, 2002.
- Raine, Craig. T.S. Eliot . Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Salunke, Vilas. Selected Literary Criticism. AP Vision, 2008.
- Sol, Mateo. lonerwolf. 2012. 10 January 2019. <https://lonerwolf.com/internal-conflict-types/>.
- Sultani, Anwar. bokan. 2014. 10 2 2019. <http://www.bokan.de/laperekan/Edebiat/awat/xasekew4.htm>.
- Thorne, Sara. Mastering Poetry. Palgrave Macmillan, 2006. University of Toronto Liberary. 1998. 15 January 2019. <https://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poems/love-song-j-alfred-prufrock>.
- Wainwright, Jeffrey. Poetry: The Basic . Routledge, 2004.