جۆری توێژینهوه: Original Article
Marine Science Centre, Basrah University, Al-Basrah, Iraq
Biotechnology Department, College of Science, University of Baghdad, Iraq
The gene of Pden_3633 in Paracoccus denitrificans Pd1222, Isovaleryl-CoA dehydrogenase gene (IVDH), was synthesized, cloned, expressed into E. coli BL21 (DE3) using pET24d vector, and purified as N-terminal Strep-Tagged enzyme (Karim and Hashim, 2016a; Karim and Hashim; 2016b). In current study, a Site-directed mutagenesis was used to identify the active site catalytic residue of this synthetic Sterp-Tag IVDH enzyme. Amino acid alignment showed that the E246 is the predicted active site catalytic residue. To substantiate the role of E246 as a catalytic residue, a mutant E246Q IVDH was constructed. Spectral properties of the mutant IVDH indicated that it was obtained as an apoprotein. Therefore, the protein was full reconstituted by incubation with flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD) at a ratio 1: 20% (IVDH: FAD) molar excess. The results revealed that the reconstituted E246Q IVDH had no activity for isovaleryl-CoA. Furthermore, its UV/visible spectrum resulted from titration with isovaleryl-CoA did not induce quenching of the absorption at 364 and 440 nm regions or arise a new absorption at 598 nm as wild type did. Confirming that the mutant IVDH was unable to form charge transfer complex as a result of altering E246 and the later is the active site catalytic residue of P. denitrificans IVDH
- Aoyama, T., Souri, M., Ueno, I., Kamijo, T., Yamaguchi, S., Rhead, W.J., Tanaka, K. and Hashimoto, T. (1995). Cloning of human verylong-chain acyl-coenzyme A dehydrogenase and molecular characterization of its deficiency in two patients. Am J Hum Genet. 57(2): 273-283.
- Auer, H.E. and Frerman, F.E. (1980). Circular dichroism studies of acylCoA dehydrogenase and electron transfer flavoprotein. J Biol Chem. 255(17):8157-8163.
- Banci, L., Bertini, I., Calderone, V., Cefaro, C., Ciofi-Baffoni, S., Gallo, A., Kallergi, E., Lionaki, E., Pozidis, C. and Tokatlidis, K. (2011). Molecular recognition and substrate mimicry drive the electrontransfer process between MIA40 and ALR. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 108(12):4811-4816.
- Bharathi, S.S., Zhang, Y., Mohsen, A.W., Uppala, R., Balasubramani, M., Schreiber, E., Uechi, G., Beck, M.E., Rardin, M.J., Vockley, J., Verdin, E., Gibson, B.W., Hirschey, M.D. and Goetzman, E.S. (2013). Sirtuin 3 (SIRT3) protein regulates long-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase by deacetylating conserved lysines near the active site. J Biol Chem. 288(47):33837-47.
- Bross, P., Engst, S., Strauss, A.W., Kelly, D.P., Rasched, I. and Ghisla, S. (1990). Characterization of wild-type and an active site mutant of human medium chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase after expression in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 265(13): 7116-7119.
- Copeland, A., Lucas, S., Lapidus, A., Barry, K., Detter, J. C., Glavina del Rio T., Hammon N., Israni S., Dalin E., Tice H., Pitluck S., Munk A.C., Brettin T., Bruce D., Han C., Tapia R., Gilna P., Schmutz J., Larimer F., Land M., Hauser L., Kyrpides N., Lykidis A., Spiro S., Richardson D.J., Moir J.W.B., Ferguson S.J., van Spanning R.J.M., Richardson P. (2006). Complete sequence of chromosome 1,2 and plasmid 1 of Paracoccus denitrificansn PD 1222. EMBL/ GenBank/ DDBJ databases.
- Djordjevic, S., Dong, Y., Paschke, R., Frerman, F.E., Strauss, A.W. and Kim, J. J. P. (1994). Identification of the catalytic base in long chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase. J Biochem. 33(14): 4258–4264.
- Engel, P.C. (1981). Butyryl-CoA dehydrogenase from Megasphera elsdenii. Methods Enzymol 71: 495–508.
- Field, S.J., Thorndycroft, F.H., Matorin, A.D., Richardson, D.J. and Watmough, N.J. (2008). The respiratory nitric oxide reductase (NorBC) from Paracoccus denitrificans. Methods Enzymol. 437: 79-101.
- Grönberg, K.L.C., Watmough, N.J., Thomson, A.J., Richardson, D.J. and Field, S.J. (2004). Redox-dependent Open and Closed Forms of the Active Site of the Bacterial Respiratory Nitric-oxide Reductase Revealed by Cyanide Binding Studies. J Biol Chem. 279(17): 17120-17125.
- Hartop, K.R. (2014). The Impact of Nitrite on Aerobic Growth of Paracoccus denitrificans PD1222. PhD dissertation. University of East Anglia. UK.
- Kim, J.P., Wang, M. and Paschke, R. (1993). Crystal structures of medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase from pig liver mitochondria with and without substrate. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 90(16): 7523-7527.
- Mohsen, A.W. and Vockley, J. (1995). High-level expression of an altered cDNA encoding human isovaleryl-CoA dehydrogenase in Escherichia coli. Gene. 160(2): 263-267.
- Mohsen, A.W. and Vockley, J. (2015). Kinetic and spectral properties of isovaleryl-CoA dehydrogenase and interaction with ligands. Biochimie. 108: 108-119.
- Mohsen, A.W., Anderson, B.D., Volchenboum, S.L., Battaile, K.P., Tiffany, K., Roberts, D., Kim, J.J. and Vockley, J. (1998). Characterization of molecular defects in isovaleryl-CoA dehydrogenase in patients with isovaleric acidemia. Biochemistry. 37(28):10325-35.
- Mohsen, A.W., Navarette, B. and Vockley, J. (2001). Identification of Caenorhabditis elegans isovaleryl-CoA dehydrogenase and structural comparison with other acyl-CoA dehydrogenases. Mol Genet Metab. 73(2): 126-137.
- Papworth, C., Bauer, J.C., Braman, J. and Wright, D.A. (1996). "Sitedirected mutagenesis in one day with >80% efficiency." Strategies. 9(3): 3–4.
- Pitcher, R.S. and Watmough, N. J. (2004). The bacterial cytochrome cbb3 oxidases. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1655(1-3): 388-399.
- Rafid M. Karim and Abdulkareem Jasim Hashim. (2016a). Spectral Properties, Reconstitution and Kinetics of Paracoccous denitrificans Isovaleryl-CoA Dehydrogenase. Iraqi Journal of Science, Vol. 57, No.2A, pp: 886-892.
- Rafid M. Karim and Abdulkareem Jasim Hashim. (2016b). Cloning, Expression and Purification of Putative Isovaleryl-CoA Dehydrogenase from Paracoccus denitrificans Pd1222. Iraqi Journal of Science, Vol. 57, No.2B, pp:1142-1149.
- Tiffany K.A., Roberts, D.L., Wang, M., Paschke, R., Mohsen, A.W., Vockley, J. and Kim, J.J. (1997). Structure of Human IsovalerylCoA Dehydrogenase at 2.6 إ Resolution: Structural Basis for Substrate Specificity. J Biochem. 36(28): 8455-8464.
Yip, C.Y., Harbour, M.E., Jayawardena, K., Fearnley, I.M. and Sazanov, L.A. (2011). Evolution of respiratory complex I: “supernumerary” subunits are present in the alpha-proteobacterial enzyme. J Biol Chem. 286(7): 5023–5033.